|3 Months Ended|
Mar. 31, 2021
|Debt Disclosure [Abstract]|
Debt as of March 31, 2021 and December 31, 2020 were as follows (in thousands):
Principal payments on the debt are as follows (in thousands):
Paycheck Protection Program
On April 15, 2020, the Company applied for a loan from JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., as lender, pursuant to the Paycheck Protection Program of the CARES Act as administered by the U.S. Small Business Administration. On April 17, 2020, the loan was approved, and the Company received proceeds in the amount of $2.9 million (the “PPP Loan”).
The PPP Loan, which took the form of a promissory note, matures on April 15, 2022 and bears interest at a rate of 0.98% per annum (the “Promissory Note”). The Company did not provide any collateral or guarantees for the PPP Loan, nor did the Company pay any facility charge to obtain the PPP Loan. The Promissory Note provides for customary events of default, including, among others, those relating to failure to make payment, bankruptcy, breaches of representations and material adverse effects. The Company may prepay the principal of the PPP Loan at any time without incurring any prepayment charges.
Under the CARES Act, loan forgiveness is available for the sum of documented payroll costs, covered rent payments, and covered utilities during the covered period of 8 weeks beginning on the date of loan approval. For purposes of the CARES Act, payroll costs exclude compensation of an individual employee in excess of $100,000, prorated annually. Not more than 25% of the forgiven amount may be for non-payroll costs. Forgiveness is reduced if full-time headcount declines, or if salaries and wages for employees with salaries of $100,000 or less annually are reduced by more than 25%. In the event the PPP Loan, or any portion thereof, is forgiven pursuant to the PPP, the amount forgiven is applied to outstanding principal.
The Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act of 2020 (the “PPP Flexibility Act”), enacted on June 5, 2020, amended the Paycheck Protection Program, among others, as follows: (i) extended the covered period from 8 weeks to 24 weeks from the date the PPP Loan is originated, during which PPP funds needed to be expended in order to be forgiven. A borrower may submit a loan forgiveness application any time on or before the maturity date of the loan – including before the end of the covered period – if the borrower has used all of the loan proceeds for which the borrower is requesting forgiveness. (ii) at least 60% of PPP funds must be spent on payroll costs, with the remaining 40% available to spend on other eligible expenses. (iii) payments are deferred until the date on which the amount of forgiveness determined is remitted to the lender. If a borrower fails to seek forgiveness within 10 months after the last day of its covered period, then payments will begin on the date that is 10 months after the last day of the covered period. In addition, the PPP Flexibility Act modified the CARES Act by increasing the maturity date for loans made after the effective date from two years to a minimum maturity of five years from the date on which the borrower applies for loan forgiveness. Existing PPP loans made before the new legislation retain their original two-year term, but may be renegotiated between a lender and a borrower to match the 5-year term permitted under the PPP Flexibility Act.
The Company intends to apply for loan forgiveness within the required timeframe. No assurance is provided that the Company will obtain forgiveness of the PPP Loan in whole or in part. The promissory note is classified as long-term except for the portion to be paid within twelve months of period-end, which is classified as current.
Unsecured Note Payable
In October 2020, the Company entered into a finance agreement with First Insurance Funding in order to fund a portion of its insurance policies. The amount financed is $0.7 million and incurs interest at a rate of 3.60%. The Company will be required to make monthly payments of $0.1 million from November 2020 through July 2021. The outstanding balance as of March 31, 2021 was $0.4 million.
The entire disclosure for information about short-term and long-term debt arrangements, which includes amounts of borrowings under each line of credit, note payable, commercial paper issue, bonds indenture, debenture issue, own-share lending arrangements and any other contractual agreement to repay funds, and about the underlying arrangements, rationale for a classification as long-term, including repayment terms, interest rates, collateral provided, restrictions on use of assets and activities, whether or not in compliance with debt covenants, and other matters important to users of the financial statements, such as the effects of refinancing and noncompliance with debt covenants.
Reference 1: http://fasb.org/us-gaap/role/ref/legacyRef